Welcome to ChrisBeads!

A Blog about Bead addiction, crochet, knitting and life in general.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Blogging - is it just a big waste of time?

I started this blog with high hopes that it would be a great promotional tool for my etsy shop. It doesn't really seem to have lived up to its earlier promise though. Lately I haven't really been blogging much at all, because there are few comments when I do blog, so it looks as though no one is reading it anyway. Certainly the sales at my etsy shop don't seem to benefit one way or the other.

The entrecard widget might as well be taken off as well. The people who look at the blog because of the widget are just those who are still trying to make their 300 hits and I just don't have the time to waste on clicking through a myriad of blogs on subjects that don't always inspire me at all. What is it with all the people who claim to have made money with their blogs? And how do you manage to get so many credits on the entrecard site (some of them seem to cost thousands to advertise). I never seem to get above 40 or 50 these days without a big struggle. Then I spend way too much time working out how to spend them economically.

There are some on my watch list who blog almost every day. I certainly hope their efforts are worthwhile. For me, I am reconsidering. I am sure there are better ways to spend my time.

4 comments:

WTF Store said...

Don't give up hope! You've got to find your niche - something you love to write about that others are looking to read. There are so many different kinds of blogs, and though we can't all be The Huffington Post, there's a place for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Hey...don't give up your blog! I have about 20 blogs in my EC favorites that I visit...and only those blogs. I am not in for the 300 drops per day. Not only that, but I am lucky if I find the time to make one post on my blog a week and visit my 20 friends one day out of the week! But I do look forward to visiting them...and you are one of them. I may not always have time to comment and may only comment when something really hits me on a person's blog, but I am still there just the same.

I find that it doesn't help my business at all, but I don't give up in hopes that one day I will be able to use it for that purpose. Better to to keep plugging along than to try to start from scratch one day.

I will tell you one thing that I have learned...to get people to comment on your blog you have to comment on theirs, too. i realize that we just don't have time to comment on tons of blogs, but make it a point to comment on at least 10 people's blogs when you go blog surfing and then pay a visit to every who has commented on your blog to comment on theirs, too. Also, giveaways will draw people to your blog. I planned on having one give away a month this year...epic fail so far, but I can always shoot for this month. It will not happen right away, but after having regular givaways, they will come. Don't know if they will stay, but they will come.

So, please think twice about ditching the blog. One post a week is good enough for me, but try to focus on your blog and not the EC aspect of it. To be honest with you, the only reason I keep my ec widget is that it makes it easier for me to get to the ec blogs that I actually read! I never seem to find the time to go through my blog roll...I do it all from the ec tool bar.

Okay, enough of the lecture! Don't let the ec ogres and greedy droppers chase you away. They will then have won!

Anonymous said...

Checking in on you and you are still here (Yes!) My last comment isn't here, so I hope you got it (I wrote you last week).

Hang in there :)

Chrisbeads said...

Thanks Lisa and Mortira, I will take these comments on board and continue to blog.
Cheers,
Christine